Pages

4.11.2012

Feminism

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat, or a prostitute." - Rebecca West


The term, at least in my neck of the woods, feminism carries a negative connotation. Most people imagine a thick-necked Tom boy who hates all things female and mirrors ever manly attribute possible.

I find it to be completely the opposite. Feminism, in my opinion, is celebration of how little gender differences mean. I believe that a feminist should be proud to be a women, and find in all the attributes of being a women as their strength.

Growing up in a family of all girls somehow forced me to be much more stubborn and tough that most girls are. The thought of being told what I can and can not do based on my gender leaves the worst taste in my mouth. I'm all for equality so when any women rise in any field or subject, I get so excited it is as if I was just nominated for a Nobel Prize or promoted to CEO.

One of my favorite people is Hillary Clinton. I have yet to finish her book, but I have been surprised again and again at the strength and talent that she possesses. Whether or not you affiliate yourself with her political party, religion, or whatever it may be, you have to admit that she ran for president after her husband's affair was nationally aired, only to lose and accept a position as Secretary of State under the man she lost to.

It's not easy. She has been a daughter, a student, a wife, a mother, the First Lady, potential President, and Secretary of State.

And she has a sense of humor. She met the men who created her meme and even submitted her own. I'm not sure most men can ever boast the resume she has.

I love heels and make-up. I hope to become an equal partner in raising my household/family with my future spouse. I want to go to law school, and I believe that women can do anything men can do, if not better.

Original image by Diana Walker for Time.



In the midst of finishing up some last minute papers, I overheard my parents commenting on a TV show they were watching.

Mother: "I can't imagine how hard that must be! I mean, client after client!"
Father: "Well, no one said prostitution would be easy."
Mother: "But it's tiring! Several clients a day would do it for me."

I'm assuming that the TV show had a female lead who was a prostitute.
While that doesn't have much to do with Hillary Clinton, nor is it appropriate for people of my parent's age to be discussing in front of their children, it seems fitting to start and end my blog post with prostitution.

There ya go.


No comments:

Post a Comment