Pages

4.18.2010

Purpose of Cell phones

Alexander Bell invented the telephone in the 1870s. In the beginning of this invention, twangs were the only sound you could hear over the phone. Now this invention has made it possible to talk to people half way across the world. 
Martin Cooper was the man who invented the first portable cellular telephone or as we know of it today as the cell phone. 

This allowed people to communicate wherever they are. 

This invention has gone a long way from where it once began. Now, people have the ability to find out the next showing of Clash of the Titans, text their friends about it, while ordering pizza on the phone. 


This is great, it shows the advancement of men and technology. 
It is not great, however, when phones are not used as phones. 

The other night I called up six individuals, all of whom are close friends, and not a single one of them answered on the first call. 
(Other than Katie. She gets a gold star and brownies for actually using her phone as a phone). 

Now, I know that I miss calls. Sometimes it is because I am too busy or in the middle of something but when I do miss your call, I always make sure to call you right back up. Because that is the polite thing to do. 

4 of the 6 people I called answered back promptly, explaining why they were not available to answer. 
["Cool. Let's play tonight."]
(which we did) 

 A particular two, however, did not. Not only did I have to text and call several times throughout the week, I also had to track down their roommate to find out what was going on. 
I finally got a reply 12 or more hours later that their phone "had been turned off". 

That must have been why someone hung up on me the first time I called. 
uh huh. 

So even when I called a second time, your phone MUST have been turned off. 
It must have been impossible to text me back when you were so busy turning your phone off. 
So sorry to bother. 

My own sister likes to screen calls. If she doesn't feel like talking to you, even if it is an emergency, she will simply text, "Hey you called."

["Why yes I did. I am being chased by a pack of hungry wolves and would like to ask you for help."] 

["LOL. ok."]

["Seeing as you are texting me, I am just going to call you."]

......Voicemail.

["Oh sorry, did you call?"] 

The worst part is when people actually lie to you over text about not answering your call. Especially when those people are your really good friends and you know for a fact that they never turn their phones off. 


Don't worry. I didn't know that the latest trend was to NOT answer your best friend's phone calls. 

You know who you are so don't bother calling me. My phone will be turned off.

As for everyone else, let's play soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment