Pages

1.01.2014

Twenty Thirteen.

I don't have the habit of reflecting and writing about the past year come New Year's Eve, but this year seems like a good one to start doing it!

I split my thoughts/doings between here and in a personal journal. I'm not sure why I bother writing in two separate outlets but I started this journal of mine when I graduated from high school. It was a very fitting time since I was going into college and I would no longer be a "child." And, oh boy... was it necessary!

This journal has seen some good and bad days, mostly my late night rants. I think the reason why I chose to start a blog was that I needed somewhere I could keep track of things I was doing (trips, activities etc). But the memorable, journal-worthy events happen sporadically. Sometimes everyday...and sometimes in months. It started becoming really difficult to write about my fun day trip to the art museum and having desserts with friends right in the middle of a chain personal thoughts. Call it compartmentalize. 

Anyways, I was going through old posts and realized I didn't really write anything about 2012 or anything about what I envisioned for 2013, in either of  my writing outlets! Guys, 2013 was huge! Like most years, so many crazy things happen and for me to not write about (with TWO places to write, c'mon!) it seemed like a crime. 

So here goes, my post for saying goodbye to 2013.

2013 was the most interesting year I have yet to experience. Some big moments of 2013: 

Officially became a graduate. And 2013 was the first year that I was not in school.

Started juicing...which speaking of, I just discovered grapefruit-orange recipe that I am pretty fixated on. 

I ran another half-marathon and this time, in San Diego!

Became an "aunt", my cousin had a beautiful baby boy and I love that they are in the area so we get to see him grow!

Emily and I went to Thailand! We did a number of things, including getting to play with and feed an elephant. We also spent some time in Hong Kong and it is always so good to go home and visit family. 

My best friend decided to spend the next 18 months in Madison, Wisconsin to serve a mission. 
I did not go to law school. After months and months of awful back and forth, I came to the heart-breaking decision that I would not be attending law school...right now. If I had to pick one thing about 2013, this would be it. I was so close and had already put so much effort and time into going only to do a complete 180. 

I accepted a position to work at an investment banking company here in Salt Lake. It's a great company and I am really, truly enjoying my time there. I want to see where I can go in the company, but we will see! 

I moved to Salt Lake for the job. The change was much needed, but God has a funny/not funny way of keeping you tied to your past even when you have moved on, mentally and physically. 

I turned 24. 

I finally got to see some of my very favorite artists in concert.


I may have missed a thing or two, but the point is that I have learned so much from 2013. I learned how to be patient. I learned how to just simply let go of people and of things that should be let go. I learned that things will rarely ever go the way you plan, and that's ok. I learned that highs will be highs and lows will be lows, but what is important is how I choose to make of the highs and lows. 2014 can only be better, right?!




"And to make an end is to make a beginning" - T.S. Eliot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment