With the summer heat, Utah has been burning up. Literally. I had never seen so many wildfires, let alone so close to our neighborhood. With all the smoke and ash in the air, Chuck was in need of a good clean.
So I pulled into the car wash and waited in line. I was patiently humming along to the music in my car when Chuck gave a slight heave forward followed by a slight pop sound. I turned around and thought, "I finally get a new bumper." {Being a college student and having to park Chuck in side streets is extremely risky. The streets are narrow and students can be reckless, especially if their own car is a piece of trash. So Chuck's rear end has a few, practically unnoticeable, scratches. But every time I walk up from behind, I see them. And it bothers me. So the idea of getting a completely new bumper for free was perfect.}
I got out of my car and raised an eyebrow at the man who stepped out of his truck, "You hit my car" I stated, unimpressed and confused as to how a stopped car could hit another stopped car.
"My brakes are so sensitive, I let go of them just a little and the car just moves forward!" We pulled our cars aside and in the middle of Chuck's bumper was a dent the size of a baseball and several scratches.
"Oh I could easily fix that," he said as he tried to climb under my car, "I know someone who can fix it. Just pop this out and get some paint, good as new."
Yeah, like that's going to happen. "I'm just going to call the police so we can get a report done. I will most likely go through the insurance companies."
After the police came and information was exchanged, he offered , "Well, if you decide to go through my insurance just give me a call, let me know."
"I'm pretty sure I'll be going through insurance to fix this. "
"...But, I mean, it's an easy fix ya know? Just scratch the paint off, it'll be easy to find the same color..."
"I'll be calling the insurance company."
So after a few phone calls and a quick email, Chuck was in the shop and I was with a rental. While I know that Chuck is an excellent car, I seem to forget that not all cars are Chuck. As I drove my rental around for the last two days, I was constantly in fear that the car would blow away with the wind or with a sharp turn of the wheel. Honestly, it felt like those plastic little toy cars that toddlers scoot around the sidewalk in.
Luckily, Chuck was better today and I was able to pick him up. A completely new bumper and interior detailing. So not only did Chuck get the wash we had been wanting, but he got a new bumper. Best day ever.
Luckily, Chuck was better today and I was able to pick him up. A completely new bumper and interior detailing. So not only did Chuck get the wash we had been wanting, but he got a new bumper. Best day ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment