a night at Valley of the Forge {aka Valley Forge} in Pennsylvania, PA.
It was one of the most miserable nights I have ever had.
Before I begin, I have to say that I have actually been trying to formulate this blog for several days now, but every thing I write just does not seem to do my experience justice. So hopefully your imagination can fill in the gaps...
Before I begin, I have to say that I have actually been trying to formulate this blog for several days now, but every thing I write just does not seem to do my experience justice. So hopefully your imagination can fill in the gaps...
So the BC {BYU interns}group traveled to Philadelphia over the weekend. Our first stop?
Valley Forge.
Just to give you a little bit of background, Valley Forge is one of the more {practically only} famous winter encampments during the Revolutionary War. Here in this valley, General George Washington was able to turn the war around. He prepared and trained his troops for war in this area.
Seeing as how important this area of land is to the American history, it has been made into a national state park where tours and educational activities take place.
Our group arrived at Valley Forge around 11 am. We toured the area and enjoyed the outdoors. It was all going nicely, the weather was acceptable and the companionship was fun.
But then we found out that we were going to have to spend the night in the Valley.
There were some old housing that had been built for historic purposes off the side of Valley Forge and we were going to be spending our night there.
From the outside, the buildings definitely showed signs of 1900s architectural design but it seemed fitting in that current environment.
When we walked into the lobby, I noticed that the building was very plain. White walls and a few rocking chairs.
I wasn't too excited about it, but I could handle it. It was only one night anyways right?.....
As we waited for our keys to be assigned to us, we found a nicely stocked entertainment center and the hopes of our visit brightened. We stopped to play several rounds of Guitar Hero and foosball before we actually checked into our rooms.
Since the buildings were all separated, the girls were staying in Hamiliton House. It was located second to last at the end of the residential area of Valley Forge.
Now, for those who have not seen Alfred Hitchcock's movies, you aren't missing out. Because even if the movies are in dark and white, with horrible visual effects and poorly written script, I still give off a little whimper every time I see the trailer for "Psycho".
Like all classic horror films {Hitchcock included}, the music grows scarier and anticipation builds. The audience screams to not go any further...well I wished someone would have done that for me right before I got off the bus.
We crossed the mud to get to the building we would be spending the night in.
I didn't walk 5 ft into that house before I let out my first scream.
The first thing I saw was this black hole on the side of the wall. It looked like dead people were cremated there, I've never witnessed a cremation but if I had that is exactly the hole that they would do it in.
The hallway was narrow and the one or two flickering lights did not make the moldy looking walls seem any better.
The walls were covered in these oil paintings that looked like it was done of dead people.
The floor creaked with every step and the manager faintly threw out that there was a bug infestation problem of stink bugs and to not kill them because, well, they smell.
I'm sorry, what?! This is NOT ok. I might as well sleep outside.
But the bug problem was the last of my worries that night...
That night, I crawled into bed and started developing a rash on my legs. While I have no medial proof, I am almost absolutely sure that it was the blankets! So I threw off the comforter and grab another set of sheets.
The heater wasn't working so the room was freezing. It didn't help that I slept in a tank top and boxers but I was shivering the entire night while I was tense from the worry of waking up and being covered in bugs.
In the middle of the night I finally fell asleep {probably just due to exhaustion} and then I heard a little boy screaming and crying for his mother.
It was coming from next door and it went on for what seemed like FOREVER.
Around 6 am I jolted awake and looked down the hallway of our room leading to the bathroom.
And then I let out a scream.
My roommate woke up and asked me what was wrong.
Obviously, I was scared. It had looked like there was someone standing at the end of the hallway. After much arguing and pleading, my roommate timidly got up and turned on all the lights. She then left the room to take a shower.
How was I suppose to rest/relax when I was now all alone in this bug-infested-freezing-dirty-haunted room?!
So I sat there on my beg hugging my knees, waiting for my roommate to finish showering.
Our room has a set of side doors that, if needed, connects to the neighboring room. When we first checked in, the door was locked.
Without my contacts in, I saw a blurry black blob protrude and balance in between the doors.
It was the mother from next door. She wanted to know if we had brought shampoo and body wash.
Well, obviously we did. We like to be clean, but as with everything else that was in the bathroom my roommate was taking a shower and the door was locked so there was no way to get it now.
The mother continued to ask if I could knock on the bathroom door and see if she could use our shampoo. Begrudgingly, and really cold, I got up and annoyingly knocked on the door. My roommate was {obviously} a little taken back but agreed to let her use it when she had finished showering.
After relaying the message, the black blob nodded and disappeared in between the cracks of the door.
{NOTE: She is a mother of 3, not just children but sons. Did she not THINK that maybe she would be needing shampoo? What next? Is she going to forget to pack under garments or clothing? Fine, maybe she was absent minded and forgot but if your 6 year old son is crying in the middle of the night, please have the decency and respect to make him stop. If you can't HANDLE the responsibilities that come with being a mother, please do us all a favor and use birth control. Just sayin'.}
By this time, I just wanted out. I was completely done with Valley Forge and prayed that I would never have to return to this awful place.
My roommate came out so I showered. First off, girls {or at least my girl friends and I...I can't really speak for all females} tend to be pretty open about our bodies. Sometimes I really don't like wearing clothes. I dislike wearing really much clothing to sleep, hence shorts and tank tops to bed. Often times, I walk around my apartment in practically just my bra and panties, but it has never been a problem.
So I came out in my bra and panties.
Imagine my surprise when the mother was standing in front of me when I opened the door.
She was returning the shampoo.
Apparently, she did not knock but simply opened the shared side door and walked right in. She had walked in on my roommate changing and stood in front of the bathroom and was just about to knock when I opened it.
I apologized for...well, the situation. And she shrugs and says that she didn't have her contacts in and walked away.
I got ready as quickly as I could because this place was NOT normal.
I got about {maybe} 3 hours of sleep that night. Luckily, I slept on the way home.
Moral of the story? If any says anything about staying on Valley Forge, run.
Run away fast.
Valley Forge.
Just to give you a little bit of background, Valley Forge is one of the more {practically only} famous winter encampments during the Revolutionary War. Here in this valley, General George Washington was able to turn the war around. He prepared and trained his troops for war in this area.
Seeing as how important this area of land is to the American history, it has been made into a national state park where tours and educational activities take place.
Our group arrived at Valley Forge around 11 am. We toured the area and enjoyed the outdoors. It was all going nicely, the weather was acceptable and the companionship was fun.
But then we found out that we were going to have to spend the night in the Valley.
There were some old housing that had been built for historic purposes off the side of Valley Forge and we were going to be spending our night there.
From the outside, the buildings definitely showed signs of 1900s architectural design but it seemed fitting in that current environment.
When we walked into the lobby, I noticed that the building was very plain. White walls and a few rocking chairs.
I wasn't too excited about it, but I could handle it. It was only one night anyways right?.....
As we waited for our keys to be assigned to us, we found a nicely stocked entertainment center and the hopes of our visit brightened. We stopped to play several rounds of Guitar Hero and foosball before we actually checked into our rooms.
Since the buildings were all separated, the girls were staying in Hamiliton House. It was located second to last at the end of the residential area of Valley Forge.
Now, for those who have not seen Alfred Hitchcock's movies, you aren't missing out. Because even if the movies are in dark and white, with horrible visual effects and poorly written script, I still give off a little whimper every time I see the trailer for "Psycho".
Like all classic horror films {Hitchcock included}, the music grows scarier and anticipation builds. The audience screams to not go any further...well I wished someone would have done that for me right before I got off the bus.
We crossed the mud to get to the building we would be spending the night in.
I didn't walk 5 ft into that house before I let out my first scream.
The first thing I saw was this black hole on the side of the wall. It looked like dead people were cremated there, I've never witnessed a cremation but if I had that is exactly the hole that they would do it in.
The hallway was narrow and the one or two flickering lights did not make the moldy looking walls seem any better.
The walls were covered in these oil paintings that looked like it was done of dead people.
The floor creaked with every step and the manager faintly threw out that there was a bug infestation problem of stink bugs and to not kill them because, well, they smell.
I'm sorry, what?! This is NOT ok. I might as well sleep outside.
But the bug problem was the last of my worries that night...
That night, I crawled into bed and started developing a rash on my legs. While I have no medial proof, I am almost absolutely sure that it was the blankets! So I threw off the comforter and grab another set of sheets.
The heater wasn't working so the room was freezing. It didn't help that I slept in a tank top and boxers but I was shivering the entire night while I was tense from the worry of waking up and being covered in bugs.
In the middle of the night I finally fell asleep {probably just due to exhaustion} and then I heard a little boy screaming and crying for his mother.
It was coming from next door and it went on for what seemed like FOREVER.
Around 6 am I jolted awake and looked down the hallway of our room leading to the bathroom.
And then I let out a scream.
My roommate woke up and asked me what was wrong.
Obviously, I was scared. It had looked like there was someone standing at the end of the hallway. After much arguing and pleading, my roommate timidly got up and turned on all the lights. She then left the room to take a shower.
How was I suppose to rest/relax when I was now all alone in this bug-infested-freezing-dirty-haunted room?!
So I sat there on my beg hugging my knees, waiting for my roommate to finish showering.
Our room has a set of side doors that, if needed, connects to the neighboring room. When we first checked in, the door was locked.
Without my contacts in, I saw a blurry black blob protrude and balance in between the doors.
It was the mother from next door. She wanted to know if we had brought shampoo and body wash.
Well, obviously we did. We like to be clean, but as with everything else that was in the bathroom my roommate was taking a shower and the door was locked so there was no way to get it now.
The mother continued to ask if I could knock on the bathroom door and see if she could use our shampoo. Begrudgingly, and really cold, I got up and annoyingly knocked on the door. My roommate was {obviously} a little taken back but agreed to let her use it when she had finished showering.
After relaying the message, the black blob nodded and disappeared in between the cracks of the door.
{NOTE: She is a mother of 3, not just children but sons. Did she not THINK that maybe she would be needing shampoo? What next? Is she going to forget to pack under garments or clothing? Fine, maybe she was absent minded and forgot but if your 6 year old son is crying in the middle of the night, please have the decency and respect to make him stop. If you can't HANDLE the responsibilities that come with being a mother, please do us all a favor and use birth control. Just sayin'.}
By this time, I just wanted out. I was completely done with Valley Forge and prayed that I would never have to return to this awful place.
My roommate came out so I showered. First off, girls {or at least my girl friends and I...I can't really speak for all females} tend to be pretty open about our bodies. Sometimes I really don't like wearing clothes. I dislike wearing really much clothing to sleep, hence shorts and tank tops to bed. Often times, I walk around my apartment in practically just my bra and panties, but it has never been a problem.
So I came out in my bra and panties.
Imagine my surprise when the mother was standing in front of me when I opened the door.
She was returning the shampoo.
Apparently, she did not knock but simply opened the shared side door and walked right in. She had walked in on my roommate changing and stood in front of the bathroom and was just about to knock when I opened it.
I apologized for...well, the situation. And she shrugs and says that she didn't have her contacts in and walked away.
I got ready as quickly as I could because this place was NOT normal.
I got about {maybe} 3 hours of sleep that night. Luckily, I slept on the way home.
Moral of the story? If any says anything about staying on Valley Forge, run.
Run away fast.
oh my gosh what a terrible experience! i am so sorry you had to go through this. that woman sounds like a psycho!
ReplyDelete