As most of you {...and the college basketball fans } know.
BYU Men's Basketball is dominating.
Or at least that was what everyone was talking about until this last Tuesday when BYU announced that Brandon Davies is suspended from the team for the rest of the season.
Personally, it came as a huge shock. I've met Davies once or twice. Made polite conversation and that was it. But from those small encounters, I knew he was not just a good person but a faithful member.
So it took me back when we slowly learned that due to Honor Code violations he was being taken off the team.
The media was all over it. ESPN has commentators argue about BYU's Honor Code. Newspapers published articles speculating his "crime" and opposing teams and fans started bashing BYU, Davies, and Jimmer's future all within 24 hrs.
It was tough.
At first I was angry. So upset that Davies could be so utterly selfish. He not only jeopardized his own future but his teammates and the school's future.
And then I was sad.
Not just because we had lost a key player at such a critical time in the season but because I could only imagine how much pressure and grief Brandon Davies and the team was going through.
I've made mistakes, everyone has. I've done things I regret and had to receive counsel for.
But I faced those things privately, with the help of friends and family.
Not with ESPN, Salt Lake Tribune, and the NCAA breathing down my back.
I am extremely grateful for the amazing support that the media is giving not only the basketball team but BYU itself.
They are finally giving BYU the respect it deserves.
But most importantly, it has given me {and probably any other BYU student/member of the church} the opportunity to share the gospel.
Just today, I had an IT staff fix my work computer. We chatted, and when he found out that I went to BYU he shot off a million questions.
3 of them were about Jimmer {obviously} but the rest of them were about BYU.
He asked about the school, the Honor Code, and my beliefs.
I was the first BYU student he has ever met let alone the first Mormon.
When I went into detail about the Honor Code, he was shocked and couldn't fathom anyone being able to live that kind of lifestyle.
In a lot of people's perspective, the Honor Code is restricting. A fun-sucker.
And I use to have that kind of attitude
{I probably still do...}
But I understand why it is here. And I am willing to do whatever it takes to live within those means. Because I admire/worship/respect/love the school, the church, and all that it stands for.
As a current BYU student, I represent the school. Not some of it. Not 2/3.
But 100%.
All the other BYU interns have had similar missionary experiences in the last few days and many of the reactions were positive. A lot of them stating that they respect the school for standing up and taking responsibility. And for seeing the bigger picture, that a national championship would be great but the worth of an individual is better.
I would love to see the Cougars advance and even win a championship.
But it would mean nothing to the fans and the school if the team did not win it honestly.
I love BYU then, and I love BYU now and will always continue to love it.
I couldn't be more proud that I am a Cougar.
winnie you are so cool! I am forever and ever jealous of your life. and I kinda miss that part of living in Maryland- the missionary part. well I guess we can switch places for awhile :)
ReplyDelete