{I'm making up for the hiatus so I'm double blogging tonight!}
Last weekend the modsquad traveled to New York city for Fall break, fun, and 21st birthdays. The trip was everything a modsquad trip could be. We stayed up late talking.
We got lost {in Harlem}.
We almost killed each other because of how annoyed we were with each other.
We ate. We shopped. We laughed.
One of my very favorite moments of the entire trip, however, wasn't at a tourist spot. It didn't involve money or glamor. It was unexpected and the timing couldn't have been any better.
It was Saturday night and we were heading to Times Square. The four of us entered the subway station and hopped onto the nearest subway train. A nice man in green scrubs moved down so we could fit four girls in one row. A few minutes later, the man in the scrubs got up and stood impatiently near the door.
I thought, "He must be a doctor. He is just being so timely and getting ready to head to work as soon as possible."
Just then I saw a young lady running to keep up with the subway. She had her arms reached out as if to signal for the train to stop. The train finally screeched to a halt and the doors slid open. The women ran towards the young doctor and he caught her in a giant hug. They chose to sit right across from us and I watched as he took her hand and listened to her tell him about her day.
I smiled when I saw that she had dressed up nicely for this subway date. I could just see her running home to shower and freshen up. She carefully straightened her hair and applied just the right amount of make up. She had chosen her outfit earlier that day during work. She would wear her cute gray boots with that new pea coat she bought to match the earrings he got her for Christmas.
I watched as she look adoringly into his eyes right before he kissed her.
A few stops later, the doctor got up and said his goodbyes. He waited until the very last minute before he could slip through the closing subway doors. They waved to each other through the window as the train gained momentum. She turned back into her seat with a sigh and a smile on her face and waited for her stop to come.
They must have thought I was a creeper for staring so blatantly but I couldn't help it. They were so adorable together. They were so in love and so devoted to each other. They led busy lives but made every single effort to spend time with each other. From what I saw, this couple treasured those 10 minutes with each other on the subway more than most couples will ever treasure a lifetime together.
So even several feet underground, with the sewage and rodents, even with the screeching of trains and scratchy intercom voices, you can find love.
Even in the most unlikely places.
:)

winnie this is my favorite blog post you've ever written i think! you are such a good writer, i seriously think i almost just cried haha
ReplyDelete