Pages

9.07.2010

BYU boys are hot.

So the first week of school has come and gone. Like any other year, homework and quizzes have filled my life. But what has surprised me {in a very good way} this year is how much more I can  love my university. 

During my first fall semester as a BYU student I woke up every morning excited for school. I bought BYU apparel and attended all the on-campus activities. I cheered and supported my school as much as any other student did and thought that I was truly a coug. 

My sophomore year could have been described as being...rocky. I was an employee for BYU and even had a tricked out shirt and name tag to prove it. I went to all the football games and my collection of BYU gear grew even more. While my fall and winter semester of last year wasn't the best moments in my life my adoration and respect for BYU never lessened. If anything, BYU was the only thing that I was actually happy about! 

Now that I am a junior {gah. Before I know it I am going to be turning 30!} I fully expected to have the whole college experience under my belt. I walked onto campus that first week and noticed all the clean and lovely looking people on campus. There were noticeably more freshmen {BYU accepted 70%ish more applicants this year compared to the 63% they usually accepted} but their excited mood just added to the campus. Every where I looked I saw BYU. BYU backpacks, BYU caps, BYU shoes, BYU t-shirts of every kind were parading around campus. It was a beautiful sight and once again, my love for BYU grew even more!

Jackie's professor was discussing patriotism and how because Americans are constantly surrounded and building it up that is how patriotism is created within a person. He applied it to the fact that the reason some students are absolute die-hard fans for BYU is because we are constantly surrounded by it. We are constantly told how amazing and blessed we are to be BYU students and what not. 

On Saturday, BYU won the Washington Huskies in football and as I looked around, I saw the navy blue and white with the famous Y logo on everyone. All of the boys in that football stadium wearing blue looked so smart and handsome!

As I was waiting in line to grab lunch, the line was getting to be extremely long but a nice stranger started up a nice conversation as we stood in line which resulted in me making a new friend. He was extending his friendship to whoever stood next to him. 

Just today as Jackie and I were heading to the HBLL {Study like a scholar, scholar.} we ran into our high school administrator. He was giving a guest lecture and asked us what direction the MARB was in. We pointed and gave him relative directions when all of a sudden a tall and strong looking man came up and said, "I am heading to the MARB too, I can show you the way." We said good-bye and the nice stranger took our principal on his way. 
I can't get over how nice that was. It was so simple but the fact that he was so pro-active to speak up and do a small and simple act of service said a thousand things about this boy even though I don't  know him.

Little things like that make, in my opinion, BYU the best school in the world. 
 Did you know that...

BYU's MBA and undergraduate business program is ranked #1 in the nation?
Or that the accounting program is #1 as well?
BYU law school is 41th in the nation?
the Cougarettes took nationals six times and recently in 2010? 
we are also ranked 10th in number of students who go on to receive doctorates?
or that 70% of BYU students are fluent in a second language?
the BYU ballroom team has won nationals every year since 1982?
BYU football team is in the top 20 programs?
BYU now has the only state of the art broadcasting truck and center in the West? 
that BYU holds the world record for largest water balloon fight?
BYU basketball is ranked among the top 25 programs in the NCAA?
and that the Harold B. Lee Library was ranked #1 in 2004?
the man who created TV, Philo Farnsworth, was a BYU graduate?
The Princeton Review ranked BYU students as the happiest and having the highest quality of life in the nation?


No comments:

Post a Comment