I attended the BYU 84th ward... {I have always wondered if the wards were just numerically named and if so, how many wards does BYU actually have?}... my Freshmen year.
As far as I know, it still holds the best spot for Best Ward Ever. Not only was Mr. Hong Kong in my ward...{I saw him WIN the dang thing and now we are friends! How cool is that?}...but our Bishop sounded and looked like Chris Farley.
Now imagine sacrament meetings.
Yah. Best Ward Ever.
I also met some of my best friends in that ward and got to know some amazingly talented and wonderful people.
I remember the first Sunday that we spent together as the Best Ward Ever and it was definitely a learning experience.
We spent the good part of Sunday School and Relief society/Elder's quorum time introducing ourselves. At first the Bishop wanted each person to say their name, where they are from, what they were studying, and their favorites.
"The favorites" consisted of anything and everything from favorite movie to favorite deodorant scent. With all the contained excitement of meeting new people and possibly future lovers, girls went crazy with all this spotlight time.
As they started the introductions, I tried hard to commit not only the people but the information they shared to memory. Don't ask why I thought that was a good idea or even if it was possible but I tried.
It proved to be somewhat easy. By the 14th girl that stood up to introduce herself I already knew what she was going to say.
"Hi my name is [ insert name here]. I am from [insert city or state...or both. Sometimes people like clarification as to what state Los Angeles is in.] ......
My favorite... {here comes the good part!}...color is pink. I like to play and watch sports. I love football and any other sports team for that matter. I really like to go hiking and go rock climbing. I really enjoy baking and cooking for other people."
As these introductions happened over and over, my mind was just boggled.
These girls made themselves sound like after hiking a mountain to build a log cabin with bare hands and fighting an angry bear after it lost at the game of tackle football they like to go home and put on their flirty aprons and make a three tier dark chocolate raspberry cake with cream cheese layers and home made vanilla ice cream. Right as dinner is just about ready.
What is worse is that they introduced themselves one right after the other. I am not the brightest and certainly have my moments of stupidity but I know after the 5th girl talked about rocks and cake I would try to leave that out of my own introduction.
I know that they did this in hopes that the cute boy they were eyeing finally decided to pay attention so they had to sound like the ideal mormon girl. But you don't see the boys introducing themselves by saying, "I like to scrapbook and fix things around the house. I also enjoy giving roses to girls everyday. I play the guitar and write love songs for my future wife."
The old...{and retarded} saying, "The way to man's heart is through his stomach" is true. partly.
Who doesn't like food? Ok maybe models and cancer patients but for the most part everyone enjoys food.
I know I do. If there is food at the relief society activity, I'm there.
I have left many ward and social functions because they were a) boring and b) there was no food.
So the saying that to get to a man's cardiac muscle is through his digestive system is only half true.
The saying should be the way to ANYONE's heart is through the stomach.
Last year we had an Apartment Hall of Fame. It was just a handwritten list of people on printer paper. The only way to get your name on this list was to bring food to our apartment. There were no limits as to how many times you could do this and each additional time you did, a star was placed next to your name.
It sounds pretty dumb but surprisingly it worked.
By the end of the year there was a good running list of people, once again surprisingly, most of them were boys.
This year we started it again. We don't advertise it or promote it. It just happens.
For the last three days, I have not had to make or buy food because boys just brought food.
Not ramen noodles and cereal food. But ribs-mashed-potatoes-pulled-pork-banana-creme-pie food.
Right now I am eating a delicious roll from Texas Roadhouse.
Did I buy it?
No.
Did I have to get up and go anywhere for this roll?
Nope.
It was bought and delivered to my door.
by a boy.
So girls, you don't have to sell yourself with all that cooking and baking, make them come to you.
"Hi my name is Winnie and I like food."
No comments:
Post a Comment