When I was little, my grandpa and three out of my six uncles owned several labs. My grandma also had a litter of dogs that she raised on her farm. I grew up around dogs and fell madly in love with these furry canines.
In the 3rd grade, I checked out every single book there was about dogs in the Provo Library. I read books about training and caring for puppies, what kind of dog was right for your family, the different breeds of dogs, etc etc.
I even read some of them several times.
Roughly the same time my mom brought Cats The Musical. I really liked the soundtrack and would watch it multiple times a day as a little girl.
However, I hated cats.
My mom, Helen, and I are allergic to cats. Also, I logically deduced that cats were invaluable and stupid.
They are really stubborn and you can't train them to do anything you want. They have claws and shed a ton of hair ALL the time. You can't take them hiking or camping. You can't walk a cat to a park. You can't play catch or frisbee with it. Also, cats do not track down criminals, save people in accidents, or help the blind.
Like I said, useless creatures.
Anyways, every time I watched Cats the Musical I was torn between the actual soundtrack and the fact that these were cats.
Now, I don't prefer cats but I am animal lover so I can't really not pet a small kitten. I just would never own one.
In just one day I went from dog lover to pure cat killer.
After my last final on Wednesday morning, I went to help my family with the packing. Our doors and car doors were all propped open so that we could move boxes easier and faster. As we were moving things, a small calico kitten kept running into our house. At first we thought she was just being curious so we threw her out thinking that she would not return. When she did come back we thought that she might be hungry. So we tried feeding her, she didn't touch the milk or cat food.
By this time, my mom was more focused on getting everything in the moving van that she didn't bother with the strange kitten wandering our house.
As my dad drove the moving van to the new house, I drove a separate car. I had forgotten a screwdriver for some of the moving equipment we needed and ran back into the house, leaving the car door open.
I pulled out of the driveway and drove up to the state street. As I was waiting for the light to turn green, I heard a small meow.
This kitten jumped out from the back seat and into my lap. It curled right there as I drove to the new house. The entire time I was yelling and pushing the cat off my lap but it would only sneak right back onto my lap. I decided to not worry about it until we had moved everything into our new home.
After a couple of hours of unpacking and moving, I drove the cat back to the old neighborhood. I dropped the cat off at the front yard of our old house, hoping it would run home.
I got back into the car and slowly pulled out. As I put the car into DRIVE and slowly moved forward, I spied the cat in my rear view mirror.
except this time, she was on the ground and her legs were spastically moving in every direction.
I screamed as I realized that I had just ran over a cat.
The kitten had ran back to the car and hid behind it.
I freaked out and drove home.
When my dad drove back to take care of it, the cat had disappeared.
The bright side is that there is no corpse to take care of but with what I saw, I am pretty positive that cat is dead.
I just don't know where the body went....
No comments:
Post a Comment