Pages

3.01.2010

Being Sick

This will be the 5th time I have been sick since this school year has started. 

I usually only get sick once or twice in a calendar year. But I have been sick five times within the last couple of months. 

When I was sick only once or twice in a year, I would get REALLY sick. 

 Really sick as in a fever of 106, cough, stuffy nose, throwing up, sore muscles, and delirious. During those few days I usually wished for an asteroid to land on the exact area I was resting on just to end all my pain. 

no joke.

However, the last few times I have been sick I have only had a slight fever and a cough. I usually get better within the next day or two.
(aside from that one month where my cow cough would NOT go away)


Today was no exception. I would break out into cold sweat during my math lecture, fell asleep during a test in my PLSC 200 class, and drank an entire bottle of SmartWater in my D&C class. 

I am actually kinda sorta really glad that I am sick (weird).
Because it made me realize how lucky I am to have such loving friends!

I received text messages from my friends this morning, even before I woke up, asking me how I felt and if they could do anything for me. I continued to get these texts throughout the day and I wasn't even telling people I was sick. (I explained after they saw me because I looked horrible...gross.)

Random strangers in my class even offered me cough drops. 

For being so sick, I felt pretty great.
:) 

Especially when Christine and I were doing homework at the LRC. We were expecting the rowdy group of library helpers to be chatting away and disturbing everyone there but to our surprise a very good looking library helper was stationed today. 
He could go around the desks making sure everything was organized and straightened out after a student left that area.
And boy, was he good at it. He seriously came around every 10 mins or so. 
So every 10 mins I got a bit of eye candy to help my cough. 
:)

Then I noticed that he was actually being pretty chatty with his other co-worker. They were playing some game on a scratch piece of paper, and although he and the other co-worker were being diligent in their responsibilities they were still be loud. 

But guess what?

I dismissed it and was not even annoyed 
simply 
because he was attractive.

As I walked out of the LRC I wondered how many times society excuse certain actions or behavior simply because the person was attractive. 

I attended an extra credit lecture for my econ class last semester. The economist did a study on the price of beauty and the pay off of it.
He found that pretty people experience more promotions and pay-raises. They also have an easier time finding a job or a companion .
(obviously)
But the interesting thing is that people actually behavior or treat pretty people differently. They showed a clip of a man who stumbled upon two women. One was pretty, the other was average. It was funny how differently he acted. It was not like he was trying to hit on the prettier women but just because she was pretty, the man acted nicer, more well-mannered, and smarter.




Just food for thought.



P.S. The weather is gorgeous today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment