It's been long enough that I feel like I can address the issue. It may seem, especially from this post, like I have a lot of issues { haha that might be true...}, but I use to hide the fact that this relationship happened. Mostly because I was embarrassed by my own actions during and after this relationship. But I think deciding to share it with, well, everyone is like closure. So it may sound rather dramatic or it might even bore you to death, but it is what it is. I won't be naming names or giving details. Just my perspective.
This story is complicated, but really so simple at the same time. While I share a lot of other emotions {mostly annoyance and pity :) } on my blog, it's rare that I write a post concerning an issue that was so dear and close to me for so long. So here goes.
Once upon a time, in a land of temples and chapels, there lived a young women named W. This fairly enthusiastic young lady had just finished the school year and was ready for her next summer adventure. Inexperienced and naive, she met CB.
CB was tall, fun, and intriguing. W and CB started to hang out. The two were inseparable and did everything together. He loved hiking and outdoor activities, so she put on her best attitude and accompanied him. She loved shopping and chick flicks, and he did his best to complement on shoes and brush up on his chick flick knowledge. Not a day went by where they didn't see each other. Everything seem perfect as the weeks went on.
However, CB had a history. Life had its trials and physical hardships for CB, but instead of seeing the blessings and gaining a humble attitude, he turned his back on those that meant the most to him. His decisions filled his life with unhappiness and problems.
W, too proud, thought that she had complete control of her feelings and logically assumed that he would be a summer fling, fun but never serious. She never saw it until love hit her straight in the face and knocked her flat on her back. She had fallen in love with a project.
Her solution? Trust and kindness. W, young and gullible, confided in CB all of her hopes and dreams, hoping that through her acts, CB would change. Months went by and W was patient, always patient with CB's inconsistent behavior. When it seemed like things were about to change for the better, CB ended things in the worst imaginable way possible.
This fairy tale, however, does not have an ending with the couple rekindling their love and riding off into the sunset together.
No, our fairly enthusiastic W was now a mess. Her idea of love was shattered. The man she thought she would start a future with was now a stranger. Headphones permanently plugged into her ears eased the school days. Tears helped her sleep. Days became a blur; school and work meant little to the once responsible and ambitious W.
Luckily, W had the support of friends and the clear thinking of her family to pull her up on her feet again. It wasn't easy. So many things had to be made up, repented, and apologized for.
Things got better and everyone moved on. Everyone still disliked CB and his actions, but W always felt that B was a much better person than he let on. Knowing that he was intelligent and kind, she assumed the role to defend his character.
Until recently, when news of CB's reunion with someone from his past, did W's perception on CB change. This women had a history with CB, but the relationship ended in court procedures and charges brought against CB.
He was not the noble and self-controlled young man W knew of. No, his actions proved that sexual pleasures were the only thing that he found attractive in his temporary companions.
So here's to you CB.
I use to hold you in the highest esteem. I use to wait for you to change, wait for your apology. I dreamed of the day when your crude and destructive attitude would disappear. I prayed for your success and happiness, knowing that it was your degrading behavior that hurt me the most. I should have known better. I should known that you are who you are, and this is how you are. In the midst of it all, I forgot.
I forgot that I deserved better. I forgot that I need someone who is going to uplift and adore me. Someone who will love me completely, just as I had once loved you. I do not know the person I once thought you were.
I'm not going to waste my time on someone who isn't great for me. Settling for familiarity is stupid, settling for less is even worse.
W went on traveling the world and meeting exciting new people. She made new friends, learned new things, and has a bright future ahead of her. She will be graduating BYU with a BS in International Relations and entering law school in 2013, and she hasn't been happier. From here on, she will be changing lives and bettering hers.
So in the end, our fairly enthusiastic young lady did have a happy ending after all...
I absolutely love your blog, and i think this might be your best post yet! It is so beautifully written and insightful and you sound so wise and awesome. Bye B!
ReplyDelete