Pages

6.06.2011

Mawage

Everyone is getting married.

And no, that is not an overstatement. It is a fact. 

A couple Saturdays ago, I innocently went to get the mail. I received 3 wedding announcements...

in
one
day. 

Aside from the daily wedding announcements, whenever I try to reconnect/facebook stalk old friends from junior high or elementary school, guess what happens?

I can't find them. Know why? Because they are married and registered under a different last name. 

Just the other day, my family received a notice about an engagement. 
The girl {I guess she would be considered a woman...} was a child I babysat when I was in Primary. Which means that she was practically out of nursery and {maybe} a Sunbeam....

Two of my cousins just got engaged this month. 

In April, there were 4 {or more} weddings.
In May, I had about 2.
June? At least 5. That is more than one a week! 
I have a couple in July.
August is too far away to say for sure how many weddings I will be invited to since people in Utah county can plan a wedding in about 2 months. 

My best friend is also getting married so that has put quite the damper on the mawage thing since I will miss her an awful ton, buuutt I am so happy for her and can't wait for her big day!  

Aside from the swarms of engagements and weddings, I am truly happy for all my friends and family. It's awesome to see the amount of growth and experience a person can go through when they are in a relationship that leads to marriage. 

However, this makes my list of friends shrink remarkably. As I scroll through my contacts in my phone, I can count the number of people that I can actually call and hang out with on my two hands. 
Everyone else is either married, still on a mission, or in a  serious-I-don't-have-friends-anymore-relationship. 
{Please be my friend? The only thing I require is that you do not get married anytime soon haha} 


And making new friends can be soooo difficult when it seems like everyone is just interested in meeting people that are aiming for marriage. 


Because is all this pressure really necessary? I am loving my ward right now, the Bishopric is amazing and the members are so friendly. But there has not been one Sunday where the pressure of dating and marriage has not been brought up... I'm not even a guy, and I feel so overwhelmed! 

It's just all a little too much...to the point where I have made an active decision in leaving Utah as soon as I am done with my undergrad. 
So I will most likely be receiving my JD in another state! {YAY for making important life decisions!} 

Anyways, bottom line is that I am glad people are still getting married. I think that the level of commitment and maturity that is needed in marriage is important for us human beings. {Plus, being LDS it comes as a commandment/belief.} I believe that love/relationships/marriage happens to everyone differently and at different stages in our lives. I also believe that not everyone is made out for marriage in this life. Some people may just live contently without a significant other. So the amount of pushing that the lovely people of Utah county/BYU place on getting married is not something I feel comfortable with.  Besides that, I love seeing all the different themes/styles of each wedding. You are all cute couples, and I wish you an eternity of happiness! :) 

The end. 







1 comment:

  1. oh. my. GOSH WINNIE. this is exactly how I feel!!!! I am seriously overwhelmed by all the marriage business going on. Also, I would like to volunteer DC for your next job/school/whatever location. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete