Pages

3.27.2010

Don't get mad

I blame it on Glad trash bag company for coming up with the saying
"Don't get mad, get Glad!" 

Now I know the sole purpose is to promote and sell their products.
Fine. whatev. 

But people are actually taking this saying as a social norm.
The other day I was working with a bunch of my lovely co-workers at the restaurant and one of the female servers mentioned how a person was frustrating her.
She didn't even want to mention him or the story. 
As we were trying to comfort her and provide words of wisdom, one of the other servers said,
"Don't get mad, just get glad!"
As if the decision to be "glad" will magically MAKE everything better. 

I honestly do not believe in it.

I not only believe in "Don't get mad, get even" but "If you are to injure someone, do it in such a way that you do not have to fear their vengeance." 

That is exactly why I love Machiavelli so much. He was blunt. While the things that he taught seemed to be of the devil at the time I see the truthfulness in it. 

He saw the power of power. He knew that PR was important and that the ends justified the means. 
Because that is really what everyone is trying to get at right? 
Based on our intentions and the conclusion will we be judge by our actions. 
If Obama's health care plan helps thousands of Americans and the economy, he could have chopped off the someone's head and it would not seem all that bad. 
(Slight exaggeration) 
It is like the saying, "If you are going to do it, do it well". 
Well if you are going to get even, ruin them. 

All hard feelings set aside, I don't think anger or revenge is the most appropriate way to solve issues but sometimes it is the best option, and when that happens you have to go all out. 

Personally, within this year I can see all the rude things I have done to the people I loathe....

And I honestly wish that I did it better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment